- Citing SFLC’s list, Chandrasekhar highlighted some of the schemes wherein Aadhaar has been made mandatory.
- “For instance, he has mentioned government considering EPFO’s voluntary pension scheme linked with Aadhaar, Linking BPL ration cards with Aadhaar made mandatory for PDS in Bengaluru, Paytm starting Aadhaar-based KYC process, government saying households not to get LPG subsidy without Aadhaar,” said a government official.
- 111 crore cards issued
- Meanwhile, the government is enrolling Aadhaar numbers to the maximum number of people, including children, asking the authority to enrol as many people as possible at the earliest.
- As of Wednesday, 111 crore Aadhaar cards have already been generated, according to the UIDAI website.
- Recently, Prasad had also said that the more people are enrolled with Aadhaar, the maximum number of benefits they would get. He had also said that the government was now going to introduce a new Aadhaar-based digital payment system for the common man.
- But, several citizen groups have pointed out that the mandatory use of Aadhaar in social welfare schemes was leading to exclusion and harassment of the poor, and was in violation of Supreme Court’s six orders in three years.
- The citizens groups also pointed out that the Aadhaar Act 2016, ‘nowhere authorises the seeding of the Aadhaar number in any database. “The 2016 Act clearly speaks only of ‘authentication’, viz., asking the UIDAI database to verify that we are who we say we are. So, asking anyone to put the number in any other database (the LPG database, for example, is unsupported by the law),” they said.